Register     Login 

The Maryland Wrestling Forum

Maryland Wrestling's Facebook Page SITENAME} on Twitter Maryland Wrestling's Association Site Follow Us on MSWA Blog/News
Last visit was: It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:37 am

Sponsors

Search

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: MPSSAA Survey from Ned Sparks
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:05 pm 

Pass on to all that will fill this out. On the last page where you can add your thoughts I expressed my concern about how un-sportsmanship like the point system is, how they should give points for strength of schedule, open the Regional Tournament to 16 man bracket, and how the MPSSAA shows a lack of sportsmanship when they hand a Regional Champion/placers a piece of paper for his/her award. I guess if enough people express how the MPSSAA is helping, or hindering our student athletes maybe they will give our kids a true opportunity to be the best they can.

JD Crouse

The MPSSAA has developed a survey on the state of sportsmanship in Maryland high school athletics. We ask you to not only take a few minutes to answer this brief survey, but encourage students, coaches, administrators, parents and fans to partake in the survey as well so that the MPSSAA can gage the opinions of all entities involved with Maryland high school athletics. Access to the survey can be done by clicking on the link on the home page of MPSSAA.org or by going to

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=751213699988

Sincerely,

Ned Sparks
MPSSAA Executive Director
[url][/url]

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:42 am 

Here's the URL for the MPSSAA home page. The survey link can be found there. You can also review the results from the coach's poll.

http://www.mpssaa.org/

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: MPSSAA Survey from Ned Sparks
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:49 am 

jdcrouse wrote:
I expressed my concern about how un-sportsmanship like the point system is, how they should give points for strength of schedule, open the Regional Tournament to 16 man bracket, and how the MPSSAA shows a lack of sportsmanship when they hand a Regional Champion/placers a piece of paper for his/her award. I guess if enough people express how the MPSSAA is helping, or hindering our student athletes maybe they will give our kids a true opportunity to be the best they can.

JD Crouse
[url][/url]

I suggest you contact Mel if you want to try to effect some change. I agree with your concerns but don't think responses to a survey will alter the policies of the MPSSAA. I hope I'm wrong however.

Coach Tim

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:13 am 

I had to put something out there about the refs and how they tend to cause more tension and disruption then any parent, athlete, or coach. the refs need to be put in check b/c they tend to be on a power trip over the past 3 or 4 years. And don't say well why don't you try reffing then b/c I do ref and I have been since I was 14 years old. I have never spoke to coaches and athletes the way that some of these refs here in MD do.

Last edited by jgabes on Thu May 31, 2007 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:00 pm 

I've been in contact with Mel, and I am part of the team that is trying to improve Maryland wrestling. I'm not sure if filling out the survey and expressing how you feel the MPSSAA is doing will help, but I’m sure who ever is reading the surveys starts seeing the same complaint over and over again, MAYBE something will come from it.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:40 am 

I agree with JD's last sentence. The fact that the survey has a place for write in responses means that somebody has to read each one, Like JD said, if they keep seeing the same complaints about wrestling then the next obvious step would be to report that to their supervisor. Who knows if it will change anything but at least the MPSSAA has asked for feedback from anyone who wants to express their opinion. I think all of us who support public school wrestling should take advantage of this opportunity.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:52 am 

Jason:

Crying about the refs to the MPSSAA will solve nothing. You best bet is to fill out evaluation forms for whatever individual ref you have a problem with and then send it to the appropriate Association.

Since you are in the Southern part of Maryland, your beef is most likely with the Washington Area Officials.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Evaluation Forms
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:10 am 

Where and when do you get these evaluation forms? Are they supposed to give you one at every dual meet or do you have to request one to file a complaint or praise a specific official?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Accentuate the positive...
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:18 am 

Who are the best refs?

Sure there are ones that need improvement, but who are the ones that are outstanding?

The best refs should officiate the best events. THE BEST REFS ARE NOT ALWAYS THE MOST EXPERIENCED.

Let's find out who the best refs are, and make sure they go to the best events.

My favorite official was/is Walt Reed. The guy cares about the sport, forces the action and communicates with the wrestlers. He is top notch. Who is your favorite?

Clem

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:04 am 

I travel all over the state of MD and see a lot of refs from all sorts of regions. Most of them are terrible. The dual meets are not where the majority of the problems occur. The tournaments are where I see the conflicts happen the most. This is where refs get the opportunity to hold grudges. This is where they feel they have the most power b/c they don't have to give evaluation cards. I got thrown out of a tournament last year b/c I walked away from an argument with a ref. When my assistant asked him why I got thrown out he said it was b/c I walked away from him and didn't stay to talk about the call. This is the type of crap I am talking about with the refs. They feel they are a higher power than anyone else. If you question a call they start a conflict with you and hold a grudge, but if you don’t they feel they made the right call, which isn’t always the case, and your athlete suffers for it.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:42 am 

This past weekend at the National duals, the reffing was a mixed bag. Most of the refs were from PA and did a pretty descent job. A few were incredibly arrogant. When I wasn't coaching, I was scoring matches...31 hours total over three days. The refs were obviously getting tired but a couple refused to to have the wrestlers wear anklets. When I called them to the table and politely asked for the anklets to be used (it makes it easier on the scorer), a couple of refs said "they didn't need them". By the end of each day, many refs were holding up the wrong wrists in assigning points due to fatigue. I assigned points as I saw them. The arrogance of these refs in not using anklets because "they didn't need them" struck me as unbelievable. They were not concerned about the integrity of the match, only their own egos.

Coach Tim

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:42 am 

I would agree that Walter Reed is the one of the best in the business. He is vocal, hustles, knows his stuff and has a great sense of humor about it all. He will correct himself and admit mistakes. My brother got elbowed in his eye repeatedly and intentionally off referee's positon in a match. Walter missed it every time. He was shown the tape later and admitted being in poor position to see what was going on and apologized.

There are other good one's out there, unfortunatetly I don't know them by name.

Again, what is the procedure on evaluation cards?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:26 pm 

jgabes wrote:
I travel all over the state of MD and see a lot of refs from all sorts of regions. Most of them are terrible. The dual meets are not where the majority of the problems occur. The tournaments are where I see the conflicts happen the most. This is where refs get the opportunity to hold grudges. This is where they feel they have the most power b/c they don't have to give evaluation cards. I got thrown out of a tournament last year b/c I walked away from an argument with a ref. When my assistant asked him why I got thrown out he said it was b/c I walked away from him and didn't stay to talk about the call. This is the type of crap I am talking about with the refs. They feel they are a higher power than anyone else. If you question a call they start a conflict with you and hold a grudge, but if you don’t they feel they made the right call, which isn’t always the case, and your athlete suffers for it.

There's a ref in SMAC don't know his name but everytime my son wrestles he gets bad calls on him. He is a good ref most of time but doesn't like the way he wrestles. The ref has even told him he doesn't like his stlye of wrestling and he should change it. I told him just keep wrestling the way you do and forget that ref.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:12 am 

SMAC refs are the worse. It was the Northern tourney that I got thrown out of and it was a SMAC ref. Both I and Eric Miller (the Northern HS principle's son) got thrown out like 5 minutes apart in the gym that we wrestled at in HS and graduated from. What a crock of $hit that was.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Ref evaluations
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:23 am 

The MWOA provides ref evaluation forms to every head coach in early February. Bill Hastings, (MWOA Commish( told me they get about 20-30 returned every year...usually by the same coaches each year.

Take a minute and fill out the evaluation form.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Evaluation Forms
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:53 am 

For evaluation forms go to: www.mwoa.info

Click under the forms heading and you will see the evaluation forms.

While there, you will also see an application to be a member, hmmmm.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Moderators: Coach Siler, W. Hicks, JL, mtm1974, marylandadv, bulger, watty