Register     Login 

The Maryland Wrestling Forum

Maryland Wrestling's Facebook Page SITENAME} on Twitter Maryland Wrestling's Association Site Follow Us on MSWA Blog/News
Last visit was: It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:46 am

Sponsors

Search

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sal Aquia "Man of Steel Open"-- 11/13/10 Don't Forget
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:15 pm 

The Sixth Annual Sal Aquia "Man of Steel" Open will be held on November 13, 2010 at Archbishop Curley High School, save the date.

Its that time again to shake off the rust and get rolling around on the mats. All Junior League and High School wreslters are welcome. Wrestling will begin at 10:00 a.m., Saturday morning, with weigh-ins from 8-9:00 a.m. E-mail me for a flyer at Tonyaquia@aol.com. We will use a Madison style weight division system. Professional Officials from the Maryland Wrestling Officials Associatiion will be present as well as Curley's medical tranier. Admission is $20 per wrestler at the door, $15 if you pre-register. Admission for spectators will also be collected, however, that cost will be minimal. All funds raised go to the Salvatore Aquia Memorial Wrestlinng Scholarship Fund. I am proud to announce that this year's scholarship recipient was.....Cory Huntley from Fallston Wrestling. Congratulations Cory!! Could you be the next scholarship winner?
You will be presently surprised of the awards being given this year. Don't miss it!

As usual, Delio's Catering will provide pit-beef, sausage, hot dogs, chips, & drinks, to complement Mama Lina's famous Spaghetti with Marinara sauce dish. You will not leave hungry!!

We were very happy with the turnout last year and appreciate all of the support from the MD Wrestling community and the MWOA! Thanks to Ron Wagner and his Golden Ring Panthers for making the junior league aspect of the tournament a great success. Toughest weight class last year had to be the three State Champs weight class---Brett Pryzwara, Alex Rice, & Pat Prada---- Pat won the weight class.

We also created a program containing a lot of Sal's wrestling history in an attempt to preserve a small piece of wrestling time. The program and the tournament were both well accepted.

Here is an excerpt from a post last year evidencing this:

Got 3 high quality matches in a reasonable amount of time. Food was good. Peps running tournament were helpful and friendly. Money goes for a good cause. Didn't know who Sal was until I read his story in the program. What an amazing person and wrestler! I won't ever accomplish the things in wrestling that Sal did becaue he was a rare special athlete, but his story inspires me to work harder and be the best I can be. That sounds so corney I know but it's true. It's hard to understand why such talented and loved person like Sal was taken so young. I lost someone very special who was young also so I can relate. Thx for the hard work to put on this event and motivate wrestlers by learning about Sal.

Thank you to all for your continued support!! See you soon!!!

The Aquia Family

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Sal Aquia "Man of Steel Open"-- 11/13/10 Don't Forget
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:15 pm 

Golden Ring will be there and I challenge the rest of the junior league teams to show up for a great early bird tournament

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Sal Aquia "Man of Steel Open"-- 11/13/10 Don't Forget
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:22 am 

This is also an excellent time and opportunity for the high school coaches to send their varsity and experienced JV wrestlers to the tournament so they can get a great workout and valuable mat time while the coaches can work with the incoming new wrestlers, take care of the administrative work and go over the basics with newcomers. This way, it is a very successful day.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]  Moderators: Coach Siler, W. Hicks, JL, mtm1974, marylandadv, bulger, watty, Kcamps